A Fix almost to Far

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 21:47
ThreadID: 71004 Views:3380 Replies:12 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
We are coming down the mountainside after a quick hit & run visit to our bush property in north east Victoria.
There's tree branches on the track, I veer into the embankment to aviod one and clunk.

A branch is tossed up under the car, it hits a bit harder than normal and drags on the ground, I stop.

Its just after dusk, but I can see a substantial branch hanging out from the undercarrige just in front of the rear passenger side wheel.

I pull it out and off we go, no big deal its happened a hundred times before.

A kilometer later I notice the sub-tank is not reading, then the main fuel guage goes out.
Must have knocked a plug loose, I've got fuel and a dinner date and can worry about this later!

20 minutes later we are out of the dirt and a few km into the highway.
I'm pulling a trailer and glance at it occasionally in the rear view mirror as you do.

Its now pitch dark and I begin to get suspicous, I can't see any red glow from the tail lights.

Better check them , so I put indicators on only to see the dash light blink unusally fast.

This isn't looking good, so I stop and check the lights.
Shock horror, I don't have a single operating rear light, no stop lights indicators
reversing lights or even brake lights, its very dark, and I had cars behind me.

I knew the guages and sub-tank pump was out, but who's knows what else?

Grab a light and look under the car where the log had struck, and there I saw it, I knew instantly we were in trouble, almost the entire main loom running along the chassis rail to the cars rear was bleep tered, the blunt end of the log had rammed home with force into the chassis rail and the loom had been caught in between.

Approximately 18 of 22 wires were smashed and severed.

The log had even bent the bottom seam where the body/chassis are welded together.

Worse the loom was ripped out in a most difficult location.
In many years of driving I have never sustained such loom damage.

A local farmer pulled up to see if we were ok. I knew I couldn't drive 100km
to Melbourne like this, so asked him to follow behind and hence provide cover from marauding police cars while I limp the few Km's to the small township of Yarck. From there its a loney dirt track back to our bush property.

We had not taken supplies but scrapped to-gether baked beans for tea and my wife cooked scones with jam and cream from stuff in our car fridge we had intended to use for a devonshire tea we hadn't got around to having.
Off to bed early - it was going to be a painful to-morrow.

Next morning was not looking good, their is frost on the ground and its 4 degrees.

Electronics is my game but I knew this was going to be a serious battle and a real test of just how prepared we might be.

Lying on a cold concrete floor, it took half an hour to set up lights on the
problem , remove interfering brackets , cut cable ties restrainting the loom
and fitting a rope such that it pulled the two ends of the loom an inch closer to-gether such that the sheared wires had a chance of overlapping.

The above was an important step and meant that I could attempt to re-join the wires.

I always carry a 12v Dick Smith soldering iron, solder, multimeter good wire cutters and a few bits to do the odd repair but this was beyond what I ever expected to do.

I sat down and thought about how to approach this, even if I could solder some wires, each one would make the loom more difficult to manipulate and position.
All the time I would be lying on my back looking up with poor light.

I choose to first strip and heavily tin every wire end with the thought that I might be able to push each two mating wires to-gether and just touch them with the iron to get the solder to run and join them.
There was insufficent free cable to twist the wire ends together and the only
other choice of, perhaps adding in extra wire would require double the soldering at the least.

As I'm working thru the above process I suddenly realized, there are two Blue/Black wires and 4 black wires - which mates to which ?
Closer inspection shows that 2 of the black wires are different guages meaning only two need to be guessed.
I peel back the corrugated plastic cover looking for clues and yep one of the black wires intertwines with a white one and I soon find its matching other end.
This leaves only the Blue/Blacks to be mixed, and well I would just guess.

What a process, 2 hours later, using every bit of skill I had to trick wires into position and will them to join resulted in 36 wire ends all joined.
Just stripping the wires in such a awkward position meant you had to pull on them and as the wire gave way your hand would fly back into the suspension components.
Soldering meant multiple small finger burns to add to the blood from hand cuts.

I was sore all over and stuffed, my wife kept feeding me hot coffe and
I crawled out from under the car, stood up and felt quite dizzy and shaking a bit.

Fine I have all the wires joined, now to insulate them some how before I could
risk turning the car on.
Back in the lab I would use graded heatshink but not here.
Your normal pvc insulation tape does work well either and is hard to apply in close quarters and usually unsticks with heat so I carry another multi-use item, high quality masking tape.
With scissors I cut 1 inch square pieces and feed them between the wires with tweezers and carefully folded the tape around onto itself and rolled it up.
This stuff sticks much better pvc, but is hard to get off later.

4 hours into the exercise now, and all ready for the big test.

The guages came on first, then the blinkers but wrong way round, then the tail lights and reversing lights.
Not bad - I swap the blue/blacks and indicators are ok - all is looking good.

My wife comes up and applies the brakes for the last test, this should be a breeze.

Damm no brake lights !

I had noticed a couple of cuts in the 4 wires that had not seperated this must be the problem, and spend 20 minutes taping and testing them to no result.
Time is moving on and I start to think about how to get home without brake lights, maybe I could turn on the tail lights every time I applied the brakes, but it was now into the afternoon and I had better come up with a plan soon.

I didn't know what wire colours were what.
The only solution was to get to a brake light and follow back the wiring noting its colour and then testing it at several points to find the break.
Much easier said than done.
1 hour later with the use of a hand held 12v battery I always carry I had got back to where the cable was originaly sheared and now knew that it was the Green/Yellow wire.
But I was stuck, I had re-broken the sheared cable and feed in my own voltage and the stop lights worked but no power was coming from the front of the car when the brake pedal was pushed.

Suddenly I remembered that the brake light on the rear door was loomed elsewhere and it was also off, it had to be a problem common to both circuits, could I have blown the switch?

Damm, in wouldn't be the fuse would it - and yes it was.

What bad luck, a twin fault, I had thought repairing the wires was enough but
appling the brakes after the incident had activated a short amongst the sheared wires.

6 hours into the solution, and I just stood there with relief, it was all working
and I need to go home and take a break.

Off we went, about 50 meters later I noticed the sub tank warning light was on.
Stuff it, its not important and off we went.

Some hours later I thought about the fragile patrol sub-tank circuit, it was a good chance it had logged a fault code and past experience told me to pull the battery for a minute and reset its ECU.

Yes it worked , the error light reset and all was good in the world !

Anyone for a mindless movie next weekend !

Image Could Not Be Found
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 22:16

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 22:16
Sticks and Rocks will find their way into the most awkward of places and do untold damage. I have a rather large bash plate under the front end,it stops just infront of the trans sump,the next guard starts at the rear trans/transfer x member. not much gap betwen them(about 500mm) and the trans sump is about 300mm up so NO WAY is anything ever going to hit it-WRONG!! We went out to Fultons track in east gippsland,there is a river crossing out along the track that i have crossed 20 times before,had plenty of bangs and crashes but thats it,until this time.for some reason i decided to look under the cruiser after crossing this time,dont know why but i did,luckily i did because she was spewing out trans fluid.a rock had punctured the sump on the front edge and pushed it up into the filter.the hole was about 3-4mm in diameter,i had to think quick as i had no trans fluid and didnt know how much i had already lost. out came the Knead it steel,rolled up a blob ,wiped the hole and shoved it in.in a few minutes it was rock hard,stopped the flow and was stuck fast,wiped around it again and made a patch to put over a larger area and all was good.we got home(still had ample fluid in it) and it did not leak another drop.marvellous stuff that knead it. so you can never prepare yourselves enough to deal with whatever happens but we always manage(usually) to get a fix happening to get home or to our next destinations. by the way it did get up there to do some damage didnt it!! well done on the fix, are you going to pull it out and rerepair or leave it??
AnswerID: 376345

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:00

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:00
Its a great hobby Paul , and after the event these things , and how you got out of them are good memories all right.

I'm hoping that I can leave the basic jiont thanks to the way the masking tape forms a seal and I will just get a large diameter piece of corrugated plastic tube to recover and project the loom.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643737

Reply By: Robert HL (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 22:17

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 22:17
Hi Robin,
you would have to be dead unlucky for some thing like this to happen that bad.

Just as well you are a leccy.If it were me it happened to i would havehad to drive the K's to get home or if out in the out back keep going 'till i could find some one with the knowledge to fix it for me at a price too i would imagine.

Good that it all work out for you.

Cheers,

Bob.
AnswerID: 376347

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:38

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:38
Hi Bob

Actually one thought that I had was that even if I found someone who could fix it , I doubted that they would have taken the care to make each joint waterproof.
And a new loom would be impossible to find even if it could be replaced.

I have seen workshop work before and they often grab a crimp joiner and crimp the wires together and this is ok short term but not waterproof.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643740

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 22:18

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 22:18
Well done for sorting that mess out...... I think it would have taken me quite a few bourbons to nut it out.
Peter
AnswerID: 376348

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:49

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:49
Hi Peter

I left out the barcardi and cokes bits that helped to numb the cold and knocks on the hands.

We will have to conduct a test- drive to determine in Barcardi or Bourbon is the best car acessory for this situation.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643745

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 23:12

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 23:12
Robin
Job well done in tight spot, bit late now but I think that there is a loom plug behind the passengers kick panel, if you disconnect it you could pull the loom out through the floor groumet which would have given you an extra 6-7 ft of loom to play with.
If so you could then pull the loom to rear of car to fix

regards Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 376353

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 06:57

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 06:57
Its worth thinking along those lines Murray , actually there is a main junction box outside the car on the chassis rails.
My problem was more with the other end , but I did discover that the floor grommet you refer to had been pushed in and would have leaked water so it got fixed as well.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643736

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 23:22

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 23:22
Robin,

now's the time to trade it on that 200 Series you took for a drive last week....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 376354

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:39

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:39
Hi Gone Bush

Actually I was thinking my almost completely non- electrical 1962 international tractor might be better to take bush , although its climate control is a little primitve
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643741

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 23:22

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 23:22
Hi Robin,

A good outcome from a tricky situation, well done. And a well written thread that made very riveting reading.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 376355

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:46

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:46
Hi Captain

Would you believe that I had to shorten the story a lot , its amazing how the time gets consumed.

For example to check on the brake lights while feeding power done the cable to find the secondary fault , meant I had to remove the tail light assembly and dangle it down to be visible , and do things like create a temporay earth.

The car was also muddy , as last week I had some non-productive calls about loan of a 200 series for a day , and I had been working out a hard but risk free test situation in the hope of convince someone to loan me a car.

I managed to come up with an uphill off cambered track on wet grass that my
rear lockers didn't help with at all and actually induce a slip.
Would love to check out an intelligent traction control system on the track.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643742

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:30

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:30
Robin,

I've been in electrics all my long life and understand exactly the difficulty of the task you went through.

I carry an assortment of electrical tools and components but have always scorned a soldering iron. Now I'm re-thinking that! Thanks.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 376385

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:23

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:23
It can be a fun game Allen - the 12v iron was from jaycar , they are the only ones to make a 60watt iron and its a very useful , small and easy to pack item.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643858

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 22:26

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 22:26
. . . and it works really well for soldering lugs to 4 Gauge Cable !

Amazing value for $19 !
FollowupID: 643901

Reply By: Peterbilt - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:46

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:46
Hi Robin,
Thanks for such a detailed and ultimately successful story.

What I found particularly inspiring was your clear logical thinking and determination to get it right. I know you didn’t have much choice about staying overnight and tackling the problem the next day but it’s amazing what a difference a clear head and a new day makes. I’d suggest ingenuity and calm determination are as important in your tool kit as technical skills and repair gear. Glad you ultimately succeeded as you’d certainly put in the hard work. Well done.

Peter
AnswerID: 376389

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:29

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:29
Your line of comment is interesting Peter.

I pretty well guessed what I would be up for , and started off well.

The curly bit at the end started to get to me , as the fix extended into the afternoon I certainly began to get a bit anixous.

This was one reason I started with the brake lights from the globe end.

If the globes were working I knew I could always jury rig a switch with my hand held 12v battery , and I opted for building up from a tenable, if undesirable position.

This meant that at any time I could back out. Still it would have been good to spot the fuse early, but then it would have been better not to kick up the log in the first place.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643860

Follow Up By: Peterbilt - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 21:19

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 21:19
Robin, it was a great story with a certain amount of mystery and thankfully a successful ending. I enjoyed following your problem solving process and even when it started to get a bit tricky in the afternoon, you kept your cool and thought laterally.
FollowupID: 643890

Reply By: Rolly - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:42

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:42
Just a little addendum: I always keep a roll of "Isobond" self annealing tape in my kit.
It stretches to form a highly watertight wrap and bonds to itself without adhesive.
Yachties love the stuff.

It can be a little hard to find, though most marine suppliers will have some.
AnswerID: 376395

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:57

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:57
Robin, self-amalgamating maybe?

When I began looking at the Cats for 12v soldering irons I began to wonder if maybe a small butane torch/soldering iron may be better. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 643778

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:46

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:46
Allan,
I have one of those and I went to repair a fuse wire within a plastic container that I had no other option except replace it. Problen with the butane torch is that it is difficult to contain the heat within the area you need it. with the result that the plastic insulation around the wire melts and so the container suffered minor damage too.
FollowupID: 643789

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 14:01

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 14:01
Yes thanks Des, I did wonder about the heat spill of a butane torch/iron. Maybe I should stick to the 12v iron.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 643803

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 14:01

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 14:01
Hiya Al

Yeah i throw in my
FollowupID: 643805

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:35

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:35
I have used self annealing tape before , its great on sealing RF connectors in the weather but a number of minor but very useful characteristics make the masking tape better for my car work , just the ability to position a sq inch into a bad location and fold it over with a pair of tweezers then write a label onto it is so useful.

For the iron (incidently a 60w 12v iron from jaycar ) has better characteristics for getting in amongst wires.
Once however I fixed a landcruiser with a butane iron , it sliced the oil filter and dropped all its oil and I was able to re-solder the split on the side of the track, the unfortunate heat spill effect actually helped in this case by warming the whole filter on a very cold day.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643862

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:55

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:55
Good effort Robin. Rotten luck in the first place. Been contemplating what I could learn from your experience i.e. how to protect that loom.......dunno though.

As Alan B said, self amalgamating tape worth carrying .

Did you see doug's thread. Another huge wiring effort.

Cheers
AnswerID: 376402

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:40

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:40
Hi Jdwynn

I think the loom suffered more than it should because it couldn't move due to the strength of the fat cable ties.
For mine I have already cut the thick strap out of a couple and feed in thin cable ties.
These will break and allow some cable movewment next time.

One thing to remember I found out was that while all the lights went out nothing critical to the cars operation is lost with that loom.
Not being able to transfer fuel auto-matically is a pain but not a show stopper.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643864

Reply By: tim_c - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 14:55

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 14:55
Thanks Robin for an entertaining account of what sounds like no fun at the time. Thanks for the info also, I've added a couple of extra things to my 'list of things to take' and I think I'll be shopping for a 12v soldering iron before my next trip!

It can be very cold lying on concrete floors (esp. at this time of year!) - perhaps if you have a scrap of carpet (or even one of the mats from inside the car) that you can put between you and the floor, it can make a surprising difference to how much heat you lose to the concrete.
AnswerID: 376420

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:44

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:44
Hi Tim

Get the Jaycar iron its under $20 bucks and has 60w not 40w like dick smith one and works better in the wind (I have both).

Yes the mats would have been good, I was quite uncomfortable by the end , in some ways dirt is better than concrete.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 643867

Reply By: Member - Axle - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:18

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:18
G/Day Robin, Great Effort Mate!!!....But what the hell is the main loom doing hanging around there?? Defenders have it through the centre of the chassis rails ,so its totally encased. Got me wondering with this bloody Toyo now,!!?, Off to have a look..lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 376460

Sponsored Links